Johnston Community College
Johnston Community College – FT Child Development Center NC PreK Lead Teacher (10Month)
SALARY: $31,200.00 – $46,689.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 09/29/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/13/21 11:59 PM
Educate and supervise children, within a play-based, developmentally appropriate laboratory early care and education environment. Ensures the health, safety, and welfare of all the children.
Instructs them in activities designed to promote social/ emotional, physical, and intellectual growth. Serves as a professional model and mentor to ECE program students. Meets all requirements of the NC Pre-K program, NC DCDEE rules and regulations, NAEYC accreditation standards, and operational policies of Johnston Community College. **This is a 10 month position
KNOWLEDGE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains constant supervision of children.
- Plans developmentally appropriate activities balancing children’s needs for individual and group activities, physical and quiet play, and child initiated and teacher initiated activities.
- Maintains an individual portfolio assessment system on each child and conducts parent conferences twice a year or as needed.
- Plans, organizes and attends trainings, workshops, and events designed for families of the CDC.
- Gives each child the attention needed to assure his/her best welfare including needs related to learning experiences, eating, toileting, sleeping, playing, health care and safety.
- Maintains accurate attendance reports and other center and child records.
- Prepares, implements, and gathers educational materials required to implement the program and curriculum.
- Provides guidance and supervises JCC adult students from various programs including
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) practicum students by providing weekly updates and student evaluations as required.
- Serves as a mentor teacher to the JCC ECE students
- Collaborates with ECE and other program instructors, and remains available to all other
- ECE students that utilization of the laboratory classroom environments.
- Recommends children for referral as needed for specialized services to the Director of the
- Child Development Center.
- Maintains cleanliness center including classrooms, bathrooms, storage areas, kitchen, and playground in a neat and organized manner.
- Works as a team to ensure all licensing, health and sanitation and accreditation standards are met.
- Assist in preparations of daily meals, if needed while maintaining sanitation rules/regulations and the Child and Adult Food Care Program requirements.
- Maintains accurate record keeping for attendance, CACFP (food program), NC Pre-K records, and other programs and agencies as needed for the class assigned.
- Participates in professional development based on NC license rules and regulations, DPI expectations, LEA requirements, and JCC staff evaluations and Professional Development plan.
- Collaborates with internal and external individuals, agencies and initiatives related to the
- Child Development Center or Early Care and Education field.
- Maintains all NAEYC accreditation standards and classroom portfolio.
- During non-NC-PreK class days, may serve as substitutes for other CDC Staff.
- Participates in college professional development, trainings and events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no employee supervisory responsibilities but could assist in supervision of classroom volunteers, visitors, students, etc.
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development
- (B-K) or related field AND meets the NC eligibility requirements for the residency license.
- Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education with a North Carolina
- (NC) Birth through Kindergarten (BK) Standard Professional II, Preschool Add-on license OR NC
- B-K residency license. (Copy of an unofficial transcript must accompany application.)
- Experience Minimum: One (1) to three (3) years’ of verifiable experience in a licensed childcare facility or in a North Carolina NC-PreK classroom.
- Preferred Experience: Three (3)+ years of verifiable experience in a North Carolina Pre-K classroom.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of data such as NC Child Care rules and regulations, accreditation guidelines, sanitation requirements, etc.
- Quality oral and written communication skills for modeling for children as well as communicating with outside agencies, students and families.
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish & English).
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity required of situations involving the direction, implementation and planning of the classroom environment and activities and use a variety of behavior guidance strategies.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills and Additional Tools
- Basic use of computers including word processing, typing, email,
- Utilizing and researching on the internet and attaching documents
- Experiences with online course delivery systems (such as Blackboard).
- Ability to operate children’s electronic educational tools such as Smart Tables, computers and other similar electronic media as well
- Ability to operate additional office equipment such as fax, copier, and printer.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, honesty, and consistent and sound judgments regarding the care of children, families, colleagues and adult college students.
- Ability to establish effective harmonious and collaborative relationships with a diverse population of children, families, staff, students and community.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability speak and hear (with or without assistive devices)
- Ability to be mobile including standing for potentially long periods of time, walking, kneeling, crouching, stoop, reaching, crawling, getting up and down from the floor level, etc.
- Ability to lift/move up to 35 pounds
- This position is physically active and demanding and requires proper balance and fitness.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Employee must be able to obtain physician approval for physical and mental health upon employment and thereafter as needed or required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Typical work environment includes early care and education classroom settings and a group of children in the JCC Child Development Center on the main campus.
- Field trips and other external excursions may be required on alternative on-campus or off-campus locations.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.johnstoncc.edu/
Position #FTCDCNCPKLT-092921 FT CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER NC PREK LEAD TEACHER
(10 Month position) HR
Johnston Community College
245 College Rd.
PO Box 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577
To apply for this job please visit www.johnstoncc.edu.